[OSM-dev] VM image

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 15:50:30 BST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Simone Cortesi <simone at cortesi.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I remember some discussions from about one year ago about setting up a
> VM Ware image including all the software needed for a "mini-OSM", a
> server able to do API, storing GPX, storing data in a MySQL server and
> as well being able to render them using mapnik, and maybe also a wiki
> engine.
>
> has anyone been working on something like this?
>
> I think this would be a valuable resource toward having a sandbox for
> testing purpose.

I certainly use VMware for testing the rails_port, and in fact have
been working on fixing up the installation instructions at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/The_Rails_Port and the
Ubuntu-specific installation notes. I've got mixed opinions on having
a VMware image available - 95% of the download will just be the
Operating System which I'd rather leave to the distribution to worry
about! Also, I'm not going to commit to keeping it up to date, so I
see more value in having a simple (and accurately documented)
repeatable installation instructions that'll work on many
distributions/releases.

Whilst we're on the topic, I see most of the instructions at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/The_Rails_Port#Platform-specific_instructions
are out of date. So here's an offer - if anyone is considering helping
with the api06 coding and would like the installation instructions
updated for their distribution, let me know. I've done Ubuntu already
but I'm happy to do the rest - and spend time blanking the VMs and
checking the notes to get them right!

Cheers,
Andy