[OSM-dev] VM image

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Tue Oct 14 23:18:16 BST 2008

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 04:38:14 Till Harbaum / Lists wrote:
> Am Dienstag 14 Oktober 2008 schrieb Andy Allan:
> > I certainly use VMware for testing the rails_port, and in fact have
> > been working on fixing up the installation instructions at
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/The_Rails_Port and the
>
> What about distributing virtualbox images (http://www.virtualbox.org)
> instead? This is open source (being more in the spirit of OSM) and the
> vm can just be distributed with the image.

+1. There are quite enough tools running on binary-only/owned platforms and
it's a turn-off for me, at least.

I was thinking a little while ago of a Live CD. I think they both have their
pros and cons. Is there an easy way to maintain both options in parallel?

And, perhaps obvious, but I think these large downloads would have to be
distributed by torrent.

Thanks to whomever brings these about.