[OSM-dev] Binary OSM db (was: Re: on-disk indexing of geodata)

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at wolschon.biz
Sat Oct 25 05:34:27 BST 2008

2008/10/22 Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-gis-osm-dev at silbe.org>:
>> Ok. Do you plan to make your current format into a kind of standard for
>> binary, indexed OSM data or do you want to go with, say, Marcus' plans (for
>> which I don't clearly see if he wants it to be lossy or lossless)?

Well, I try to make a lossless one. Users who want a lossy one can still
filter out the data they don't want in there but the format should be
capable of describing all of OSM since there's no telling what a person
may want filtered out.
You may however prioritize some attributes (e.g. the ones needed for fast,
real-time rendering and smooth zooming) over others (invisible ones
used for routing).

Marcus