[OSM-dev] Ways with 40k nodes, was: osmosis pgsql schema

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 31 10:44:44 GMT 2008

Hi,

Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Its 2^15 because it signed - and yes - somebody managed to get abovE:

This definitely has to stop. We need to (a) find all ways with more than
a few thousand nodes and break them down, and (b) educate users that
they shouldn't do such evil things. Imagine the poor sod who opens a
little rectangle in JOSM just to find he has to wait for ages to
download 40k nodes! This slows down so many things.

(And what's more, once someone creates a way with 50.001 nodes, no
bounding box containing even one node of that way will be downloadable
through the API.)

I know that shortcomings in the renderers still make it attractive for
mappers to create giant polygons but we cannot allow this to get out of
hand.

Any comments? JonB perhaps ;-)?

Bye
Frederik