[OSM-dev] on planetdiff usage

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 15:31:20 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Mitya Korochkin <mityacor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to build weekly planet.osm files for the September 2007 using
> planetpatch utility
> (http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/planetdiff/).
> I'm running the following command:
> ./planetpatch planet-070905.osm.bz2 planet-070905-070912.diff.xml.bz2 >
> planet-070912.osm
> But in some minutes I'm getting following errors:
>
> StartElement: Unknown element name: segment
> EndElement: Unknown element name: segment
>
> At the same time, planet-070912.osm file is still being created.
>
> Do you know if these error messages are essential?

Yes, these planets are from before the 0.5 API switch over (which
happened on 6th/7th October 2007). I think you'll need to process them
with a 0.4 version of the planetdiff tool (ie: r4778 in SVN). Any
tools you use will need to know about segments, or else you'll need to
convert the planet first by using the 04to05.pl script at:
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/utils/conv05/04to05.pl

There may be an easier way, but I don't know it.

Dave