[OSM-dev] osmosis pgsql schema / way.bbox removal/option

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:05:56 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:

> I use the --write-pgsql-dump which creates files which can then be
> imported using COPY. If you use it that way, Osmosis doesn't do any
> extra postprocessing like the bbox thing.

It's important to use the spatial keys for at least the points, as this
significantly improves query times. If you don't, Postgres will have to go
through all 260M rows in the database to return meaningful data.

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 11:58:18AM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> i was trying to use the postgresql simple schema from osmosis to import
> a planet and after 5 days i aborted the import. 4 of the 5 days the
> postgresql was busy building the bboxes for the ways.

Florian, my version of ROMA was doing this, too. I ended up stopping the
import after 6 days of indexing. It would make things run so much faster
(and allow us to retrieve all the ways in a bounding box, even the ones that
don't have nodes in the bounding box), but it's not worth the extra planet
import time I think. At least when I'm paying USD$0.10/hour for it...