[OSM-dev] Spatial vs. multi-column indexes for points

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Thu Sep 11 13:23:41 BST 2008

Hello.

Is there amy kind of embeddable (java) database or
database I can expect an end-user to install (no PostGIS or manually installing
the mysql-gis-extension) that supports spatial indice?

I tried storing a z-tree of the coordinates in one indexed column
in HSQLDB and the performance was worse then using a multi-column -index.

Thanks,
Marcus