[OSM-dev] Order of closed ways?

Till Harbaum / Lists lists at harbaum.org
Fri Sep 12 12:50:36 BST 2008

Hi,

Am Donnerstag 11 September 2008 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Normally, an .osm file has nodes, then ways, then relations, in
> ascending id order. But that's not even guaranteed.
That's not a problem for me as i have all nodes on one layer and all
ways on another. These don't interfere. The question is how to stack
items inside a layer.

> You will probably need "z-ordering" in your editor. Some objects have
> explicit layer tags specifying their z-order. Polygons with holes have
> relations to link the inner rings to the outer ring. Everything else is
> at the discretion of the renderer.
I don't support relations yet and this will likely be one of the last things
to be added.

I have implemented my solution to "push back" an item that's clicked
a second time when already being selected. This way you can easily cycle
through any pile of stacked items by just repeating clicks onto the same
position. Every second click will then bring up and select a new item.

This perhaps isn't visually perfect, but it serves its purpose well enough
to be quite useful.

Till