[OSM-dev] gpx elevation data for given bounding box?

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 22:06:04 BST 2008

Tom Hughes wrote:
> Stefan de Konink wrote:
>

>> The reason seems to be that some people *think* they are not accurate.
>>

> I think the experiment we conducted at the 4th birthday party showed
> pretty conclusively that it's not accurate. We were only about 12 foot
> above sea level (as measured by looking over the wall at the Thames) but
> the various GPS units present reported values from about 0 to about 200
> foot or so. They also varied radically over time despite the fact that
> we were sat still.
>
> Tom

Some units (Garmin eTrex Vista, for example), use barometric altimeter
as the only source for the elevation data. Which means that it's
reliable only if calibrated regularly (every few hours, if weather
changes). Otherwise the data is more or less useless for mapping
purposes - errors could be in hundreds of meters. So you cannot rely on
such GPX elevation logs.

Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net