[OSM-dev] [Patch] Experimental extra symbols for mapnik layer

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 03:20:43 BST 2008

Hi,

I've created a patch to add extra amenity and tourist icons to
osm-template.xml from the svg-twotone set of shared symbols that I
recently added to svn.  The hope is to produce a consistent style so
this patch not only adds new symbols but also replaces some of the
existing ones.  I've not yet added all the symbols from the icon set
to the osm.xml file but I'd like to get some feedback on what people
think before I spend too much more time on this.

I've produced a couple of screen shots to give a quick impression of
what the results looks like.  You can see them here:

http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/osm-sample1.png
http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/osm-sample2.png

The two samples only include a few of the icons added but should give
a  general idea.  Alternatively if anyone has somewhere I could put a
demo copy of the config for people to look at that would be very
helpful - my local development server just isn't up the job!

The patch to osm-template.xml is available here:

http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/osm-template-map-symbols.patch

In addition to applying the patch you will also need to run the
generatemapniksymbols.sh script in
applications/share/map-icons/svg-twotone to generate the required png
files.

Please do let me know what you think!

Cheers,
--