[OSM-dev] [Patch] Experimental extra symbols for mapnik layer

Rob rob at coolbegin.com
Wed Sep 17 17:53:39 BST 2008

2008/9/17 Brian Quinion <brian at brian.quinion.co.uk>

> >> Just another reason to have 'layers'. :) Next to that it looks cool :)
> > you mean like our dutch cyclemap ?
> >
> http://www.openfietskaart.nl/?zoom=14&lat=52.36713&lon=4.89568&layers=B0000FTTFFFFFFFFT
>
> That looks really nice and provides very nice functionality.
>
> Unfortunately it does illustrate the problem with using an overlay
> layer - loading all the different layers significantly slows down the
> display.
>
> BTW - Do you have any idea what the storage requirements are for the
> symbols layer compared with the normal mapnik layer?  I'm assuming it
> is a lot less, but I'm wondering how much less!

hmm not easy to say, because we render kind of on-the-fly.. and we erase 2
day old tiles each day..
so can't give a exact number.. but the transparent way layer for the
netherlands was 1.2gig last time i checked
you can do the multiplication for the world ;)  however the poi tiles are
much smaller of course

Rob