[OSM-dev] Garmin GPX madness

Mon Sep 22 16:42:42 BST 2008

Oliver Eichler wrote:

> you definetly missed to cite the last line of the original posting
> "SCNR trolling ;)"

Hey, if I'm being slated for daring to take the piss, you can be too. ;)

> And how does that add to a valid discussion on how propperly
> recorded GPS data would allow real track post processing? Not just
> some subjective interpolation by the eye with reduced track
> information.

Oh, sure, there's a debate to be had about whether or not recording an
accuracy measurement is important for the quality of mapping that OSM
is doing: and on that, I've already stated my viewpoint that, given
the low quality of polylines drawn by numerous mappers, GPS drift
(especially averaged over n tracks) is the least of our problems.

But the debate hasn't just been about that - it's gone to "I sincerely
wonder why anyone in the community would buy a Garmin", or "why do you
even care for these devices". And that risks elevating one factor
(clearly important to some, not to others) to a sine qua non. OSM is,
as ever, a broad church; we need to be a little careful about saying
"you really must not buy a device without X,Y and Z", because that
assumes that others' priorities are always the same as your own. I
have no doubt that for the sort of surveying you like to do that DOP
is important, but for me it ain't.

cheers
Richard