[OSM-dev] Reimplementation of the GPX importer

Daniel Silverstone dsilvers at digital-scurf.org
Tue Sep 23 10:08:15 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 11:01 +0200, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > > Note that the "b" in "wb" should be inside a "#ifdef WINDOWS" or
> > > whatever defines that platform.
> > The 'b' is effectively ignored on Linux, so it should be harmless and
> > not need an ifdef.
> The manpage on my system does not mention this behaviour. So if
> someone comes along and implements and documents "bitbucket mode",
> which ignores all data written, that's ok.

My manpage says:

       The  mode string can also include the letter ’b’ either as a last char‐
       acter or as a character between the characters in any of the  two-char‐
       acter strings described above.  This is strictly for compatibility with
       C89 and has no effect; the ’b’ is ignored on all POSIX conforming  sys‐
       tems,  including Linux.  (Other systems may treat text files and binary
       files differently, and adding the ’b’ may be a good idea if you do  I/O
       to a binary file and expect that your program may be ported to non-Unix
       environments.)

So if you care about this being portable to Windows, then my approach
was correct. If you don't, I can remove the 'b' entirely :-)

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 2BC8 4016 2068 7895