[OSM-dev] GPS Hardware Recomendation

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Tue Sep 23 14:47:41 BST 2008

El Martes, 23 de Septiembre de 2008, Vojtech Brtnik escribió:
> can you recommend any GPS hardware receiver (no maps, no nothing, just
> GPS) to use with notebook?
>
> I especially mean stable and working driver, clear interface and
> output data ideally in latitude/longitude/altitude format.

I'd go for a GPS receiver capable of outputting carrier phase data. You'll
have to log more data (you'll have a laptop, disk space won't be a problem).
But this way, you can use differential post-processing (RINEX et al).

In plain english, this means that you'll get sub-metric accuracy, which kinda
rocks.

You'll have to do a bit of research, and you'll have to avoid consumer-grade
receivers, but I do think that sub-metric accuracy is worth it.

Cheers,
--

Un ordenador no es un televisor ni un microondas, es una herramienta compleja.