[OSM-dev] ATT. NEW SERVER FOR T at H IN USAGE AS OF NOW

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Thu Sep 25 09:05:35 BST 2008

Hi all,

you all have experience the painful downtimes of t at h lately. Some of these can be attributed to my dumbness and lack of programming skills. Some of these were client botch ups and some of these the server's fault. NFS partitions dying, reboots that took a week, etc.

I would like to thank Christopher Schmidt for allwing us to use his box, we effectively had taken over his development server. I am very grateful for this and I don't blame him on any of the issues we had with the server. But it seems t at h has outgrown the server which ran like 7 other web based services at the same time.

Now Quiky has allowed us to use a different server, and that is where the t at h server moved, starting effectively now. I copied over all the default tile layer tileset files we already had. This means all the legacy tiles are now gone (as are the maplint tiles which have to be recreated). I bet there are still areas that relied on the legacy tiles, so you might see some new blank spots on the map which require rendering. Thanks Quiky for your kind offer.

I am still away, so I will only be online from time to time. Let me know about new issues that you experience.

Clients have been modified to use the new server address:

Server (uses exactly the same URLs as before otherwise):
- server.tah.openstreetmap.org (no more weird port 81 usage!)

Tile serving (existing URLs continue to work):
- tah.openstreetmap.org and [a,b,c].tah.openstreetmap.org

Every request that does not involve tile serving is being redirected from
tah.osm... to server.tah.osm...

There is munin on the new box, but it's not integrated (yet?) into munin.openstreetmap.org. Munin stats can be seen here: http://titan.finalgear.com/munin/finalgear.com/titan.finalgear.com.html#T@h

So, let's cross thumbs for a painless transition and thanks to both crschmidt for enduring us so long and Quiky for being willing to host us for free.

spaetz