[OSM-dev] Fwd: [GSoC] A GPX photo stamper.

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Wed Apr 1 16:23:09 BST 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Tijs Zwinkels wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> >
> I know this is most definitely not the first time that geotagging photo's
> with gps data has been attempted.

You are right... ;)
http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/wiki/OtherGeocodingSoftware

> > I personally see much more interesting things coming from integrating
> > Flickr into OSM than creating yet-another-gps-tagger. And if you say you
> > are doing an AI major; I would suggest to help around with
> > OpenStreetPhoto, especially the matching part
> > (keywords: SIFT/Histogram/Bundler) ;)
>
> Having said that, I would most definitely be interested in helping out with
> some SIFT / other 'good feature to track' tool to automatically stitch
> pictures and allow for some automatic tagging of items in pictures for a
> GSoC project! Im enthusiastic about the prospect of working on this, and
> would like the flesh out ideas a bit more and submit a proposal.
> Where should I discuss this? Should I continue on the talk-nl list, or maybe
> we can talk things over on IRC sometime soon?

I think stitching is something that is lets say 'available', referencing
images is too. But I would really love to see some thing like robust
automatic traffic sign recognition, or maybe even streetname OCR.
Ambitious but certainly doable. And don't forget, these are things that
are not yet available on current camera's and DO require manual labor, so
lets see what can be automated.

Hanging out on IRC is always an option :) Mailinglists may be more
persistent.

Great to see you like the ideas :)

Stefan