[OSM-dev] [GSoC] A GPX photo stamper.

Tom Evans tom_evans_a at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 16:31:28 BST 2009

Tijs Zwinkels wrote:
> - Any opinions about / ideas for my proposal?

Just an idea, could be a part of your app:  (I'm a bit doubtful of
the usefulness of geotagged pictures at the moment; they're cool,
but _useful_?)

If I started from a suggested gpx track or OSM route of some kind,
would it be possible to automatically (using AI ;-) ) select some
useful photos for the navigation.  Maybe ones of something for me to
recognize at each turning, but only if it's visible to me as I
approach.  Maybe also one every so often to confirm I am still on
the route.

Since you'd have to print out or remember each photo it'd have to be
quite selective about useful ones, rather than throwing out a big
pile.  I'm imagining a single page printout with a grid of a dozen
photos I have to look out for, maybe with a bit of text or a
direction arrow associated with each.

Just a thought.  Maybe someone will tell me it's already been done.

Tom