[OSM-dev] Fwd: [GSoC] A GPX photo stamper.

Philip Shipley phil at barby.net
Fri Apr 3 06:29:53 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> > I think stitching is something that is lets say 'available', referencing
> > images is too. But I would really love to see some thing like robust
> > automatic traffic sign recognition, or maybe even streetname OCR.
> > Ambitious but certainly doable. And don't forget, these are things that
> > are not yet available on current camera's and DO require manual labor, so
> > lets see what can be automated.
>
> automatic traffic sign recognition and streetname OCR - that would be
> immensely cool!
>
> certainly seems doable. google must be doing it for their automatic
> blurring on streetview. also, http://evernote.com/ has similar ideas.
>
> cheers,
>
> matt

Building on this it would be pretty cool if you could automatically go to
Flickr, Picassa etc scan the photo's with geotags and appropriate licences
for features such as traffic signals, street names, street signs etc and
plot them on something like OpenStreetBugs to be reviewed manually.
You would also be able to get such information such as road surface, number
of lanes, building names, stop names etc etc.

Regards

Phil