[OSM-dev] [GSoC] Automatic Street-Sign Detection and Reading - was: [GSoC] A GPX photo stamper.

Tijs Zwinkels openStreetMap at tumblecow.net
Fri Apr 3 20:13:03 BST 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:

> I would go outside JOSM, and make this a webapp that can be included as a
> layer in any editor. WMS like.

I'm not sure whether this is very suitable for a webapp since it might
require quite some computation, and will generally operate on databases of
pictures that might be a pain to upload. It's certainly possible though.
Maybe we should think about a platform which allows it to be used both
locally and as a webapp.

>  But please keep in mind that SIFT will *not* work for the typical
> streetsign because SIFT looks for features, which are typically not present
> in the 'easy to understand' signs (because they use colours).

Which.. I of course read minutes after the application deadline expiring. ;)
- No sweat, I'll read up on the subject a bit more and keep on adding new
ideas to the proposal on the wiki.

SIFT *might* be able to do some of it's work on features typically present
in street-signs. For example: Many street signs have a white bar around
them.
Otherwise we will have to trust on the color-histogram matching, and I'll
think about other feature detectors to use as well. (suggestions welcome
ofcourse)

>  - Would anybody be interested in mentoring this interesting project?
>> Preferably someone with SIFT-experience, but I would be happy to work with
>> anyone who's enthusiastic about this project. Stefan or Matt maybe? :)
>>

> You can add me to the list of volunteers ;)

Tnx. :)