[OSM-dev] [GSoC] Automatic Street-Sign Detection and Reading - was: [GSoC] A GPX photo stamper.

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 21:09:36 BST 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> Tijs Zwinkels wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de
>> <mailto:stefan at konink.de>> wrote:
>> I'm not sure whether this is very suitable for a webapp since it might
>> require quite some computation, and will generally operate on databases of
>> pictures that might be a pain to upload. It's certainly possible though.
>> Maybe we should think about a platform which allows it to be used both
>> locally and as a webapp.

processing on mobiles would be really cool, but probably too ambitious
for a GSoC project. we can always do that after the project has
completed :-)

<snip>
>>     But please keep in mind that SIFT will *not* work for the typical
>>    streetsign because SIFT looks for features, which are typically not
>>    present in the 'easy to understand' signs (because they use colours).

wouldn't SIFT (or variants thereof) work really well against a
database of exemplars, i.e: pictures of existing street signs,
isolated letters from the font used for street signage?

i'm happy to advise on this project, but i have to state up-front that
i don't have the experience that stefan has with SIFT, etc...

cheers,

matt