[OSM-dev] Memory error while converting osm to gml

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 15:01:28 BST 2009

2009/4/3 Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de>:
> What I have seen using gzip and bzip2 on the fly decompression on 5x
> raid0, only one CPU was busy decompressing and the actual tool had a cpu
> time of .30. It was clear that first decompressing then running the tool
> on an mmap file was faster.

Just reading this again made me realise that we could probably make
osm2pgsql faster for the common case just by forking and using
gzip/bzip2 to do the decompression in a separate process (i.e. another
CPU)... Not entirely sure how much you'd save though (ISTR someone
saying it was the polygon construction that took a lot of time), but
it'd surely help somewhat.

Have a nice day,