[OSM-dev] JOSM: Several tags with same key

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 15:37:55 BST 2009

2009/4/4 Marcus Wolschon <Marcus at wolschon.biz>:

> Yes,
> I also see this as an error in the tagging-schema.
> We have way too many values for "amenity" so these collisions
> happen all the time. It`s not just bank+atm, it is also
> hotel+restaurant and many others.
> This way of tagging amenities simply grew without any regard
> for what was technically possible (most editors never properly supported
> multiple values for a key, thus noone was to use them as their work
> could be destroyed at any moment).
>
> Marcus

+1

We could restructure most (all?) amenities to more speaking k/v-pairs,
by inventing thematic replacement-groups for amenity (and the similar
man_made):
gastronomy for all kind of beergardens, restaurants, cafes, bars,
fast_food and the like
accomodation for all kind of hotels, hostels, b&bs, ecc.
culture for all kind of art_centres, museums, concert-halls, ...
education for universities and schools
publicservice for prisons, firefighters, police
transport for taxi, busstations, ferry-terminals (or maybe even more
detailed separated in Land, Sea, Air; or put them in the
highway/waterway/aerialway/railway-key)
communication for telephones, emergency-phones, tv-towers, ...

Of course this would be a lot of work and discussion in the community,
but I think it's still not too late to do it, and it would help a lot
to bring more structure and logics in the tagging-scheme.

Martin