[OSM-dev] More and Closer Planet Mirrors?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 18:42:18 BST 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:

> Ian Dees wrote:
>
>> Is there an rsync or similar mirroring system set up for distributing the
>> planet files? I'd love to host them (and might be able to convince Amazon or
>> Google to help with the bandwidth and drive space), but transferring them at
>> 150K/sec is pretty darn slow.
>>

> NL has its own mirror now, might require some less manual labor though ;)
> But I would be totally for a geo-distributed mirroring system.

I think we're talking about different things here, Stefan. I'm looking at
mirroring the planet dump. It turns out Grant already answered my question
in Febuary [1].

But to your point, Stefan: I've asked about geographically distributing the
load of the read/write database several times on dev and directly to the
volunteers that admin the servers. I think their recent purchase of the
awesomely-huge server box  was a fairly clear answer: they want to retain
control of db.openstreetmap.org.

-Ian

PS: I'm not trying to make a political statement here. I don't care who
controls it or doesn't. I'm just trying to solve a technical problem.