[OSM-dev] JOSM: Several tags with same key

Pierre-André Jacquod pjacquod at alumni.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 7 20:23:54 BST 2009

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
> If you look at other keys you will find wider use of the semi colon. At the
> moment for instance the OSMers in the west midlands are hitting bus stops
> hard and we are using the route_ref=45;56;78;905;907;998A;998C format. I
> started out many moons ago using a pipe to separate values but realised
> later on that most people were using semicolons so modified my editing
> style. I’ve been using semicolons to separate values for a couple of years.
>
> For mappers we need the simplest quickest way of entering the data, and this
+1 as mapper I agree

> works for us. I don’t really care if that makes it more difficult to process
> the data in the database, that’s not important while building the database
> of data.

-0.5 :-) if this allow to use in a better way my gathered data, it also
add more value to my collected data

I am also using the semicolon way of mapping. But with a look on both
side, I am ready to take a bit more time in mapping if the structure
helps to make a better use. I agree not everyone needs to share my
opinion or find the effort worth.

That's why we should try to find the "middle" way... if there is one? I
do not have a finished solution, I have just seen a paint point that is
for me more and more visible as I understand better the coding behind
the scene...

best regards