[OSM-dev] openstreetmap.org as target for spamming?

Stefan Breunig stefan at mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Apr 9 07:38:26 BST 2009

Don't add a captcha. They get cracked anyway and just make it harder
for everyone. Adding a bayesian filter should be sufficient after a
little training (it works for josm.openstreetmap.de) and requires no
extra effort from the user.

Greetings
xeen

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 08:29, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stefan Keller wrote:
>> Usually we try to ignore spam, but now it seems, that openstreetmap.org has
>> become some spam target (see below).
>
> Uh-huh. Good you noticed that. This means they actually have gone
> through the trouble of writing a script that creates OSM accounts AND
> confirms the link in the e-Mail they get... great news, we'll hit one
> million users rather quickly now ;-)
>
> Glad they haven't started user diaries yet ;-)
>
> Maye someone with Rails skills could quickly grab an existing captcha
> solution and add it to
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/sites/rails_port/app/controllers/user_controller.rb?
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail frederik at remote.org  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Please encrypt your mail:
http://mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de/~stefan/publickey.asc
FP: 2620 E737 FD50 60AB 86B6 1B9D 3BFD AFFB 5B15 6893