[OSM-dev] SoC Project: Preprocessor to add altitude information to OSM data

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:08:59 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Hermann Kraus <herm at scribus.info> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have applied for SoC to write an preprocessor that adds altitude data to
> ways to allow better bicycle routing, etc.
> The complete application text is available at [1] for those of you who
> don't have access to Google's mentor interface.

> I'm also interested in some feedback on this point. What do the people on
> this mailinglist think about it?

Hi Hermann,

Sounds like your project overlaps quite a bit with Sjors from GSoC
2008 - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Route_altitude_profiles_SRTM

So you can probably learn a lot from that - especially why looking at
nodes or endpoints of ways isn't great - you miss a lot of detail
(potentially entire hills!) along the way! I don't think Sjors work
ever influenced routing decisions, so there's still work for you to
do.

I would suggest looking into his work, and looking at yours as an
extension of what's gone before.

Cheers,
Andy