[OSM-dev] Note to the developers of editors :)

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 21:18:53 BST 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> Matt Amos wrote:
>> i don't consider consecutive duplicate nodes to necessarily indicate
>> corrupt data. its up to the client to interpret the user's intent -
>> and if the user genuinely wanted consecutive duplicate nodes then
>> thats fine by me.
>
> True, but you are going to restrict k/v pairs ;) And that is a thing some
> users want too ;) [I don't think I ever needed it]

we're only going to restrict them on nodes, they were already
restricted on ways and relations by the API. and most clients
restricted them on all types. in this case i look at it as being more
consistent, rather than introducing new restrictions. :-)

>> i can't think of any use for consecutive duplicate nodes, *yet*. there
>> might be people already using this for something, or we might find a
>> use for it in the future. for the moment, i consider this to be a
>> minor client UI bug which can be most easily fixed by the clients, not
>> by the server.
>
> I think it was you that was previously so smart on IRC about not
> overengineering your database types. This is exactly the same case, don't
> allow it unless someone actually has a use for it.

ok - if noone disagrees i'll implement it. it should be pretty easy in
the pre-save checks. it'll need to go in post-0.6, though... i don't
want to change the code too much in the last few days, just in case
;-)

cheers,

matt