[OSM-dev] [bug] direction of GPS traces

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Apr 14 18:11:57 BST 2009

Hi,

Karl Newman wrote:
> Well, I haven't uploaded any data yet. I didn't intend to upload any that
> weren't for public consumption, so I've been working on sanitizing my traces
> and I probably will then upload the ones that don't go to "personally
> identifiable" locations. For what it's worth, I don't consider myself
> paranoid, just prudent.

It's probably a question of where you live. I'm a city dweller so by the
time I have walked to where my car is parked on any given day and switch
on the GPS, I have already introduced so much noise that people won't
know it's me.

If I were the only mapper within 100km of my home and the very presence
of any traces in my vicinity would tell people that I have been
somewhere then I might view things differently. - Then again, I'm
uploading these nodes and ways to OSM under my username for all to
see... I guess OSM, as a whole, is simply not for the paranoid.

Wikipedia still allows anonymous editing, i.e. you can contribute and
only your IP number will be saved. This is for the benefit of those who
want to edit articles about uncommon illnesses, socially less acceptable
sexual practices and other things they would rather not have their
colleagues identify with them...

Bye
Frederik