[OSM-dev] Bittorrent

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Sat Apr 18 07:50:19 BST 2009

2009/4/18 Simon Ward <simon at bleah.co.uk>

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 08:23:19AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Stefan de Konink wrote:
> > > After a few upload problems, a new torrent is available.
> > >
> > > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm#Bittorrent
> >
> > Not to nitpick, but in terms of PR, might it be better to use a tracker
> > other than The Pirate Bay?
>
> Selfish and wrong.  It may even help TPB if more high profile projects
> used their tracker for (legal) distribution.
>
> In terms of PR it could also be seen how an “open” data project
> abandoned an effective method of distributing open data.  If TPB’s
> appeal fails, it sets a bad precedent for any other tracker out there.

TPB is unreachable from here, it's been blocked for a long time... As such,
it's not very effective for me, or all the other people in the world who
find it blocked for them, and there are quite a lot... This is thanks to the
negative PR that TPB already has... They've never helped themselves in this
regard... If anything, TPB has done bad PR for BitTorrent, an open protocol
and open source implementation developed for the efficient distribution of
large datasets and now in common perception, a tool to enable one to easily
obtain copyrighted materials...

BitTorrent can be an effective method of distributing open data and setting
up a tracker for a project isn't a massive job, other open projects may well
be willing to share a tracker, which reduces that overhead... The way that
BitTorrent works, you don't need to use the biggest, most popular tracker,
you just need to have all the people wanting to share the file being able to
connect to the same one/s...

So anyway, in short, I agree with Paul, both from the PR point of view and
from the point of view that hosting it on TPB make it useless to me...