[OSM-dev] [Routing] webservice to collect traffic messages

Tom Evans tom_evans_a at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 09:17:36 BST 2009

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:46:38 +0200, Doru Julian Bugariu <j.bugariu at wad.org>
>>> * required: (datatime) expiration date of the event
>> Why not starting time and duration?
>
> Why would anyone be interested in when the event started?
> It's there, it will be there when you get there so it's
> to be used in the metric.

Most traffic congestion doesn't operate to an accurate timetable?
Typically, you have observations of the congestion (at a known
time), and an estimated (i.e. made up) duration.

For the few events which are predictable, you'd want to take
advantage of that and broadcast the prediction. But without implying
the event has already started.  Unless I'm missing something, you
can't do that with just expiration date.  Just a thought.

Tom