[OSM-dev] [Routing] webservice to collect traffic messages

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:28:56 BST 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:03:37 +0100, Tom Evans <tom_evans_a at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:17:36 +0100, Tom Evans <tom_evans_a at yahoo.co.uk>

>> Correct and if a new estimate becomes known or the cancellation
>> of the event is broadcast it gets updated.
>
> Yes, I was just implying it was a shame to throw away the one piece
> of known good information and send the guessed bit instead.

I added a "from" timestamp now.

> Rush hour is a bit of a broad one, but there are definitely
> particular hotspots that become much worse than the rest then.  I've
> also seen occasional warning of queueing for a big event, which
> should presumably be known in advance.  Also some motorway roadworks
> have a scheduled start time.  I don't think it's the common case by
> any means, but it would be a shame to encode the scheme such that
> they could never be described.

Construction-works is a good point. Once it is up and running
it would be cool to look for electronic publications of such
and feed them into the system. :)

As you mentioned rush hour, I'm thinking of adding either a
required field or a name->value -pair for "probability".

>> This is becoming more complicated then I expected.
>
> For that reason alone I like the name-value pairs you put in.  My
> instinct is to try and push everything that isn't essential and a
> fixed byte count into that, but I can't think where I'm getting that
> idea from...

Yes.
I did not want to loose such information as the original TMC event-code
and there can be many optional parameters that may be of use.
(If nothing else, then for experimentation ;) )

I guess I'll implement this message-format for the existing
TrafficMessageStore -class in Traveling Salesman (it currently only
stores TMC-messages localy) and if that works out in the local case
write the web-service.
Then a web-UI for listing all currently known and manually entering
events and see how well others can make use of this too. :)

http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/travelingsales/index.php?title=TrafficMessage