[OSM-dev] implemented API for J2SE and J2ME (NameFinder Client API)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Apr 21 13:09:30 BST 2009

Hi,

> Thing is: is there
> anything we need that LDAP does not give us?

Let me ask the other way round: What are the cool things that LDAP
*does* give us and where it saves us time compared to do something
ourselves?

I believe that the major complexity in the name finder is that "real
language" user queries have to be matched to what is in the data base.
This means something like

1. process the query and try to find out what user wants (is it "pubs
"<town>,<street>" or ...)

2. query the database and see what you find

3. if result looks sub-optimal, goto 1, this time trying another
interpretation.

Any mechanism that imposes a strict sequence (1. analyze query, 2. make
database request, 3. return results) without letting actual database
contents influence the query analyze step is probably too simple to
solve our needs.

Bye
Frederik