[OSM-dev] implemented API for J2SE and J2ME (NameFinder Client API)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Apr 21 13:18:26 BST 2009

Hi,

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com wrote:
> I disagree with the "have to".
> A new implementation can have a form
> with inputs for country, city, ..., housenumber and an optional
> select amenityNearby

Well yes but that would not be something than can replace the old
namefinder, that would be an additional way of querying the data (which
would probably mostly be used by automatic geocoders because humans
don't like that many input fields).

If we want to replace the current Namefinder, we have to be able to do
the magic it does, including all the language-specific abbreviations
etc. - even if some people would like to believe this, the Name finder
does *not* perform a simple database lookup.

Bye
Frederik