[OSM-dev] Tiles and Postgis

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 15:20:53 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:32 AM, ahmed soua <ahmed.soua at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have downloaded tiles from the tiles open steet map server using
> JTiledownloader.
> My question is it possible to put these tiles into a postgis Database to use
> them  to have slippy map of my country.
> Thanks.
> Ahmed

Others have answered on the "proper" way to generate tiles, but if you
already have a bunch of .png files you just need to put them on the
filesystem and point your webserver towards them. So for example, the
tile that was 0/0/0.png needs to go in a folder called "0" and a
subfolder called "0" and the file is called 0.png.

Of course, there are many reasons why this doesn't scale, sucks for
performance and so on. But if you've already downloaded 10,000 .png
files then this is how to use them.

Cheers,
Andy