[OSM-dev] Namefinder replacements (was: Re: implemented API for J2SE and J2ME)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-gis-osm-dev at silbe.org
Wed Apr 22 19:14:59 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 07:41:56PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> The status is, basically, that everything is vapourware except the Geocoder in OpenRouteService which is closed-source due to ongoing academic activity.
Well, vapourware is a bit hard, but at least my own implementation (see the archive) would indeed require some work (mainly the frontend code - the timing critical backend part is done) to be of actual use.
One reason I didn't finish the project is that I never got any answer to exactly under which circumstances the current namefinder is slow - during my own tests, it was reasonably fast. Without knowing that I cannot test whether my own implementation is actually performing better under comparable conditions, so replacing the current one doesn't make much sense.
The code is available under the terms of GPL v2 if anyone would like to finish or reuse it.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/