[OSM-dev] "Expect error 417" is back

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:23:28 BST 2009

2009/4/24 Till Harbaum / Lists <lists at harbaum.org>:
> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag 24 April 2009 schrieb Thomas Wood:
>> Any responses from me will be related to the testing APIs on dev,
>> which do run under Apache.
> Ah ... so the API testing takes place in a different setup than the
> real life operation? Why? Is this really clever? Isn't the purpose
> of a test setup be as close to the real thing as possible?
>
> Till

My original aim was to try and get as close to the real set up as
possible, but with what exists on dev, it wasn't really feasable to do
it in a timescale suitable for mass-testing of 0.6.
The main issue is that dev is a server shared by many projects, Apache
is required as the main webserver on there due to other users'
requirements, I believe dev hosts the planet dumps, the SOTM websites,
and several other sites on the fringes of OSM.

Another option may be to run lighttpd on another port, but I was
unaware of what restrictions the server had on external connections,
so I left it as was. A proxying option through apache was possible,
and I'd toyed with it when I was having issues with Passenger, but it
was so unstable at times, I reverted to using Passenger. Plus it'd
still be undesirable in terms of overheads and replicating the live
environment.

--
Regards,
Thomas Wood