[OSM-dev] API: no BBOX download of a way if no nodes inside the BBOX?

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Mon Apr 27 01:52:09 BST 2009

Whatever the technical solution, I think this must be addressed sooner or
late and have a rather high priority (from a "dev user" point-of-view).
IMHO, the assumption that a BBOX query will return all nodes, ways and
relations (even incomplete) is one of the fundamentals of the api...

Obviously, this is mainly true for an editor -> live databse point-of-view,
which is probably a special case because non-live usage can probably avoid
the problem by using other tools.
Does Potlach somehow (with its "special" api) circumvent the problem?

Another solution is to forbid long straight highways ;-)

- Chris -