[OSM-dev] API: no BBOX download of a way if no nodes inside the BBOX?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Apr 27 13:33:09 BST 2009

Andy Allan wrote:
> IANAPotlatchDeveloper

...yet (evil cackle)...

> but it looks like "whichways" does a similar think

...and I resent the implication any thought has ever been involved in the
design of Potlatch...

> to the map call - i.e. find the nodes in the area, then ways
> refering to those nodes etc.

Indeed. I did once think (curses, rumbled) about doing the proper SQL for
ways that make their way through without a node - indeed, if you look
through the list archives you'll find some discussion about this. But I
reckoned it'd be less expensive simply to enlarge the bbox a bit and thereby
catch most cases.

cheers
Richard