[OSM-dev] Slippy Map Elevation Overlay

MilesTogoe miles.togoe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 02:35:52 BST 2009

Graham Jones (Physics) wrote:
> I sometimes think that the main slippy map has a bit too much plain
> white, especially in undeveloped places where there are not many roads
> such as the Pennines or North Yorkshire Moors in Northern England - I
> keep wondering if this is an un-mapped area, or if there is nothing
> there....
>
> The cycle map is very good with shaded elevation contours, but the
> main osmarender and mapnik maps do not include this.
> I would like this sort of shading to be available for the main map
> too, but I am not convinced that rendering it into the tiles is good,
> because sometimes those extra colours or contour lines are a
> distraction, so it would be nice for the user to be able to switch
> them off.
>
> I wondered if there is any reason why we could not create an overlay
> of elevation information (contours and or shading) that could sit on
> top of the main map as a user selectable leayer?
>
> I have had a quick go at http://maps.webhop.net/srtm.html.  It sort of
> works - the high ground stands out, and you can see the shape of the
> ground, and you can switch the overlay off and on.  It does not work
> that well as an overlay though because it is not really transparent
> enough.  I find that sometimes the transparency works quite well and
> you can see the map underneath, and others it is practically opaque.
pretty nice, though when zoomed in, it gets blocky - maybe this is
actually how the parcel boundaries are, maybe you where just trying to
get stuff prototyped.    I keep thinking it would be nice to integrate
OSM data with free satellite data like java based WorldWind NASA data as
the background - haven't really researched this yet.