[OSM-dev] List of Questions

Stephan Plepelits skunk at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Apr 29 05:29:04 BST 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:35:35PM -0700, Sam Mor wrote:
> Sorry We are at beginning, but it's good to understand the basics,
>
>  how do mapnik create the image from osm file?

Check out this howto:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik

> where are the images are located?
It depends where you put them ;) Sorry ... I'm kidding.

You can either render them before you serve them to the Web, which doesn't
sound bad first, but unfortunately it takes a long time. As alternative you
can use mod_tile, an extension for the apache webserver, which renders on
demand, and as an advantage serves cached tiles much faster than apache
alone.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mod_tile

Hope I could help you.

greetings,
        Stephan
--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich