[OSM-dev] Cloudmade routing for OSM rails_port site.

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Apr 29 08:40:36 BST 2009

Nick Black wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu
> <mailto:tom at compton.nu>> wrote:
>
>     Chris-Hein Lunkhusen wrote:
>      > Марат Хасанов schrieb:
>      >
>      >> http://mkhasanov.sandbox.cloudmade.com/directions (only view and
>     routing
>      >> tabs works)
>      >
>      > Hi,
>      > is it planned to integrate this on the openstreetmap.org
>     <http://openstreetmap.org> site ?
>
>     I think it's highly unlikely.
>
> Why's that?

Well there are several reasons which would make me disinclined to
integrate it, so I at least would need some persuasion.

First up is the general question of whether we want a routing function
on the site - it has been said repeatedly in the past that our aim is to
  provide the data and let other people innovate with it. This sort of
things is just another step to making the site a full featured Google
Maps clone where doing all the data presentation as well as the
production. This is a position which I believe Steve has advocated on a
number of occasions in the past.

On top of that is the policy question of whether, if we decided we
wanted a routing function, we would want that to be based on a closed
source service from a commercial organisation. Obviously that is a
policy decision for the Foundation but on the face of it I would tend to
be opposed.

Finally, even if we decided such a closed source commercial service was
acceptable there are obviously specific questions when the source of
that service is Cloudmade - the risk of such a decision being viewed in
an unfavourable light by others when Cloudmade in general, and you and
Steve in particular, are so closely linked to the project in general and
the Foundation in particular is obviously quite large.

Look at it this way - if we integrate this, what do we do when Frederik
and Jochen come calling asking us to give their (hypothetical as far as
I know) routing service equal space/prominence?

At the end of the day, these are policy matters for the Foundation, but
as things stand my advice to them would be along the lines described above.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/