[OSM-dev] Cloudmade routing for OSM rails_port site.

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Apr 29 11:33:56 BST 2009

Nick Black wrote:
> To your point about integrating other people's services, I think its
> clear. Whatever the best service available is should be used.

"Best" is in the eye of the beholder.

Subject to minimum quality standards (no long outages, results not
completely bogus) and a common API, we should let the user choose between
available services. I could in theory code a routing service that was better
than CM's for validating the type of mapping I tend to do (i.e. long cycle
routes) but less useful for housing estates.

It's exactly the same as with the map layers. I think (awaits flames) that
Steve Chilton's Mapnik layer is the best OSM cartography there is at
present, and if you apply commonly-accepted cartographic standards than
that's probably not just opinion, it's objective truth. But we don't refuse
to offer other layers (e.g. Osmarender) because this is the single "best";
we have the OL layer chooser.

In fact, offering a routing chooser might even encourage the development of
more routing applications, and that has to be good.

cheers
Richard