[OSM-dev] Cloudmade routing for OSM rails_port site.

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 21:53:39 BST 2009

2009/4/29 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:

> But isn't this angle one where the open/closed distinction gains weight
> again? Currently, you can (and I've done this a number of times) tell
> potential OSM users: "Everything on openstreetmap.org is free software and
> free data - you can build the exact same site for yourself with all its
> functionality from our database and our svn" *). With non-free routing or
> geocoding services that would stop.

Actually yes, I think I overstated my lack of caring where the routing
comes from - let me restate my priorities thus:

1. That we should have at least one routing engine to show that our
data will support that.

2. That we should have a selection of routing tools to demonstrate
that the data are engine-agnostic.

3. That a good proportion of the engines we show off be sufficiently
open to allow users to play with them or deploy them for their own
needs.

4. That our "headline" routing engine be open.

That is, whereas I have a preference for an open solution, so that
people get used to the idea that such problems can be solved using
open software, I personally wouldn't insist on it if (as I believe) we
are selling ourselves short without any on-site visibility of routing
tools.

However, I can understand that others would put my priority 4 right up
the top of the list.

Dermot