[OSM-dev] Slippy Map Elevation Overlay

OJ W ojwlists at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 30 21:43:50 BST 2009

It's computationally a bit more expensive on the server, but you can
have a tile server that makes the white areas of regular maps
transparent and overlays them on top of relief maps (i.e. opposite
order to what you tried).  It's trivial PHP/GD code, and uses less CPU
on the client-side than having semitransparent overlays (which can be
*very* slow), but only works when the road map doesn't contain
antialiased edges.

update: I found an example implementation, but it seems to be
overlaying something with antialiased roads :(

http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/relief/