[OSM-dev] Another mapnik style sheet question

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 15:18:15 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:31 PM, John Smith<delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Tue, 4/8/09, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For future reference, the Mapnik folks are  working
>> diligently on a SVG-based symbolizer that would make shields
>> like this very easy. It's not ready yet, but keep it in
>> mind for the future.
>
> That would certainly be nice...
>
> Any hints/tips on vert/hor centring text on images?

One hint - it's not perfect. I've never looked into it, but I've also
never seen anything exactly aligned. I think mapnik's text placement
within shields is a fraction of a pixel off so the kind of sub-pixel
precision you're chasing isn't going to work. Maybe it's possible to
make the images slightly shifted but again I haven't tried.

Cheers,
Andy