[OSM-dev] Rail Port timeout problem.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Aug 6 12:53:05 BST 2009

Hi

Marcos Lois Bermúdez wrote:
> - I see that now it uses postgresql but in the rails port instructions i
> don't see any reference to postgis, so in my understand the database
> that holds osm data is not using postGIS at all, is this true?

Yes.

> or the
> postgis extension are only used for mapnik as ia see in their
> installation instructions?

Yes. Mapnik has nothing to do with the Rails port and uses a very
different SQL table layout.

> - I load the spain data into a postgres database setup for test, so i
> tune a bit the pg server, and install the rails port with the
> instructions of the wiki,

Are you sure that you have created the proper indexes? How did you load
the data? If indexes are missing, everything takes forever.

> Another question is about import the data in the database, i finally use
> the osmosis in this form:
>
> osmosis --read-xml  file="spain.osm.bz2" --write-apidb
> host="192.168.0.144" database="openstreetmap" user="openstreetmap"
> password="openstreetmap" dbType="postgresql" validateSchemaVersion="no"

Ah, I see. Have you initialized the table using
http://gweb.bretth.com/apidb06-pgsql-latest.sql?

> since with --write-pgsql i get a lot of error about missing tables, for
> what is  --write-pgsql?

--write-pgsql creates a different table structure (that is not useful
for you if you want to run the rails port on it).

Bye
Frederik