[OSM-dev] Keepright layer conflicts

Philip Homburg pch-osm-dev at u-1.phicoh.com
Sat Aug 8 12:11:13 BST 2009

>I would prefer the wiki pages to be changed. It is clear that if the
>bridge/tunnel does not end at the junction, that you need a short way between
>them. But why should you need one if it _does_ end at the junction?

I very much prefer to keep the current consistency check (for roads at least,
areas are another story).

In most cases, a layer change is also the start of a bridge (or tunnel) and
bridges and tunnels just don't start at the middle of an intersection.

So there are just a few case where changing the rule may actually save some
work.

Sometimes ways at different layers get connected by accident. Just disallowing
layer changes at all intersections is much easier, robust, etc. then trying
to specify which cases could be safe.

A couple of days ago, I correct a couple of situation where t-junction were
created at different levels that were simply wrong. I think the chance that
somebody will also create the extra ways as required by the current rule is
quite small.