[OSM-dev] Gosmore preferring unsealed tertiary route

Lambertus osm at na1400.info
Mon Aug 10 13:14:59 BST 2009

John Smith wrote:
> --- On Mon, 10/8/09, Lambertus <osm at na1400.info> wrote:
>
>> I'm not saying that it can't, in fact I thought about it
>> too after I sent my email. There are a lot of ways leading
>> to Rome, but someone has to build at least one to get
>> there...
>
> Indeed, so what's the best way to get from a to b? :)

Really, I'm no traveling salesman, but I lean towards defining routing
classes for all the highway=* tags and add children to each of them for
different situations (like surfaces, width, turns that cross the other
lane, traffic lights etc) that add or subtract average speed or add
penalty time (average speed penalties have no use on nodes like bollards
or traffic calming).

But at this moment the elemstyles.xml file does way more then just
defining the routing rules. I don't know if such a scheme could be
feasible using the elemstyles.xml as it currently is.

I hope the Gosmore devs can give their opinion...