[OSM-dev] Gosmore preferring unsealed tertiary route

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Aug 10 23:54:10 BST 2009

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Lambertus wrote:
> On the other hand, I've
> driven some South African 'washboard' dirt roads with a rental car and
> could not sustain more then 40km/h while the windows were shaken loose
> in their hinges.

Yes, sometimes you can travel more comfortably going faster on a corrugated
road, but it is risky when you come to a corner, because the physics are like
aquaplaning.

So if an unsurfaced road has a max speed of 100kmh (normal here)
my speed may be 25 to 40kmh in the wet and even greater than 100kmh in the dry
in daylight.