[OSM-dev] Distance Grid

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 17:06:25 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Vitor George <vitor.george at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to start a project in Brazil that is similar to the Tiger Fixup 250
> Cities [1], and I looking forward to build a script that generates a
> distance grid, like this:
>
> http://matt.sandbox.cloudmade.com/usa-routes.html
>
> I've tried to contact the authors via wiki, but I was unsuccessful, so I
> want to develop it by myself. I'm not a professional programmer, but I have
> some experience in java. Is the LibOSM the easiest way tool to implement it?

sorry you missed us on the wiki. i have to say, i don't really check
the discussion pages like a good wikian should :-(

the script is very simple, and uses cloudmade's ruby API [1] to get
the routes. you'll need to sign up for a cloudmade API key, if you
haven't already. the script i've attached will output CSV on stdout,
but i usually put them in a database for easy access.

run it like "ruby routes.rb <conf file>". i've attached an example
configuration file, which is just a yaml map of string to lat/lon
array.

i look forward to seeing brazil's 250 cities :-)

cheers,

matt

[1] http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/show/ruby-lib